Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Free Tutoring for Army Families

Have you tried this? Army Families Have Access to Free, Online Tutoring!


We posted a news article on www.armywellbeing.org about free, live, online tutoring available to all military Families.  This service has been available for Army Families for about a year, but I had yet to try it.  With a 1st and a 4th grader at home, I decided today was the day to check it out.

First, I have to say, it was the easiest registration of any website I've encountered.  Simply enter your "Army Affiliation," your email and gender, and click "Register!"  I instantly received a confirmation email with my login code and ta-da!  I was in. 

One thing I really liked about the site is that you can browse the different lessons to see what is available.  I was worried I'd be automatically connected with a live person asking me questions I wasn't ready to answer ... like "Why exactly are you here?" or "What specific topics would your students like to study?"   But, no.  I was free to browse and the directions on how to contact a live tutor were clear and easy-to-follow.

There are many different subjects, shown in this clip art from www.tutor.com.  Another cool feature is that there are sections for "Student Center," "College Center," and "Career Center."  So it's not just for kids!

I took a minute to browse around the "Career Center" and was happy with the sections there, too:  Career Help (including a resume review, help with job searches, and interview prep), GED Prep, Citizenship, Back to School, and "Proof Point" where you can get any document reviewed by a live English tutor.

Finally, I was amazed to see that they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!  For those of us who sometimes put kids to bed before working on our own career goals, that was a very pleasant surprise. 

So ... I plan to bring my own two children back to the website to go through some of the resource library lessons for practice.  Math is our nemisis and I think this will be a huge help.  Try it out for yourself ... and let us know what you think!

For more information on this fabulous resource, visit Army Well-Being: Online Tutoring.

0 comments:

Post a Comment